Steak and ale pie
With 100% British beef, a locally-produced ale and a helping of hearty veg, our steak and ale pie recipe ticks all the boxes.
SERVES 6 PREP 30 MINUTES COOK 180 MINUTES
- 500ml bottle of ale from our Love Local range - try one from Ferry Ales Brewery or Batemans Brewery
- 800g beef or steak diced
- 4 tbsp plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 onions, chopped roughly
- 300ml hot beef stock
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 300g ready to roll puff pastry
- 1 egg from the Love Local range for glazing, beaten
- A bunch of fresh thyme
- 2 medium chopped carrots
- 150g button mushrooms 15g butter
1. Begin by preheating the oven to 160°/140°F/Gas 3.
2. Coat the diced beef with flour.
3. Heat up a large pan on the stove.
4. Meanwhile, fry the onions in oil until golden brown.
5. Take the onions off the heat and brown the beef in butter and leftover oil until brown.
6. Transfer the beef and onion into an oven proof pie dish.
7. Add the carrots, mushrooms, thyme, stock and ale.
8. Cook for around two and a half hours in the oven.
9. Take out of the oven and leave to cool. Once cooled, reheat the oven to 200°/180°/Gas 6.
10. Roll out the pastry to create a lid big enough to cover the top of the dish. Coat the side of the pie dish with the beaten egg.
11. Place the pastry onto the dish and pinch the edges, trim off any excess. (Use a fork for a traditional crimped look by pressing down on the side along the edge all the way around).
12. Brush the top of the pie with the remaining egg.
13. Bake for 30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown. Serve with your favourite veg.