Peanut butter and jelly breakfast buns (Ve)
What better way to wake up than with some breakfast buns which are 100% vegan and 100% delicious? We won't tell if you go back for seconds...
SERVES 12 TAKES 85 minutes
- 300ml unsweetened almond milk
- 500g Co-op strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 7g sachet fast action yeast
- 3 tbsp golden caster sugar
- ½ tsp table salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Co-op vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
- 250g Co-op smooth peanut butter
- 1 heaped tbsp Co-op Fairtrade soft brown sugar
- 25g Co-op large roasted & salted peanuts, finely chopped
- Warm the almond milk in a small pan.
- Mix the flour, yeast, caster sugar, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add the milk, vanilla and vegetable oil, then mix.
- Tip onto a floured surface and knead for 10 mins.
- Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave for an hour, until doubled in size.
- Grease a 22cm x 30cm baking tin with oil.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a 30cm x 25cm rectangle.
- Spread with 100g of the peanut butter and sprinkle the brown sugar over, then roll the longest side towards you.
- Cut into 12 and arrange in the baking tin.
- Cover with oiled cling film and leave for another 35 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/Gas 4.
- Bake the buns for 35-40 mins, until golden brown. Allow to cool.
- Microwave the remaining peanut butter for 30 seconds to soften, then do the same with the jam, adding 1 tbsp water to loosen.
- Drizzle the jam and peanut butter on top of the buns and sprinkle with the chopped peanuts.