Pea, spring onion and Cote Hill Red soup
A soup which makes a star of that freezer favourite, the frozen pea 🌟
PREP: 20 MINS
COOK: 25 MINS
- 1 bunch spring onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50g butter
- 1 large baking potato, about 250g, diced
- 1 litre hot vegetable stock
- 2 thick slices Gadsby's white farmhouse bread, cut into chunky cubes 💚
- 100g Cote Hill Red Cheese, coarsely grated 💚
- 900g frozen peas
- 100g baby leaf spinach
- Thinly shred 2 spring onions and set aside, Chop the rest.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil and half the butter in a large pan. Add the chopped spring onions and potato, and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 mins. Stir in the stock, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 8-10mins
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter with the remaining oil in a large frying pan. Fry the bread for 4-5mins until golden. Season, top with 25g cheese, and melt under a hot grill.
- Add the peas to the soup, bring to a boil and cook for 4 mins. Stir in the spinach until wilted. Remove a spoonful and set aside. Stir in most of the remaining cheese and whizz with a stick blender until smooth. Divide into bowls and garnish with the croutons, pea mixture, shredded spring onions and grated cheese.
TIP: Make the soup ahead and freeze for up to 4 months in a freezeproof container. Defrost thoroughly before reheating gently until piping hot.