Fairtrade chocolate and banana crêpe cake
Surprisingly easy to make, this 25 layer chocolate and banana crêpe cake will impress friends, family and your taste buds.
SERVES 16 READY IN 2 HOURS
- 300g Co-op plain flour
- 75g Fairtrade cocoa powder,plus extra for dusting
- 60g Co-op Fairtrade light brown soft sugar
- 3 Co-op British free range eggs, plus 3 yolks, lightly beaten
- 750ml Co-op semi-skimmed milk
- 40g Co-op unsalted butter, melted
- Sunflower oil, for frying
For the banana cream:
- 350ml Co-op semi-skimmed milk
- 4 Co-op British free range egg yolks
- 100g Fairtrade caster sugar
- 20g cornflour
- 20g Co-op plain flour
- 300ml Co-op double cream
- 2 ripe Co-op Fairtrade bananas,mashed
For the ganache:
- 150g Co-op Irresistible Fairtrade 70% cocoa dark chocolate
- 150ml Co-op double cream
- Co-op Irresistible Fairtrade white, milk and dark chocolate
- For the crêpes, sift the flour and cocoa into a bowl and stir in the sugar.
- Make a well in the middle then add the beaten egg.
- Whisk to combine, then slowly whisk in the milk and butter.
- Leave to rest for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, make the banana cream.
- Heat the milk until it just starts to boil. In a bowl, whisk the yolks, sugar, cornflour and flour together.
- Slowly whisk in the hot milk, then return the mixture to the pan.
- Whisk over a medium heat until thick and glossy, then leave to cool completely.
- Whip the cream into soft peaks, then fold it through the cooled custard, along with the banana. Chill, covered with cling film, for at least 30 mins.
- While it’s chilling, fry the crêpes.
- Brush a 24cm nonstick frying pan with oil and warm over a medium heat Add about 50ml batter and swirl the pan to coat the base. Cook for 1-2 mins, until the crêpe is dry on top, then flip over and cook for 30 seconds.
- Transfer to greaseproof paper and repeat to make 25 crêpes, stacking them with greaseproof paper in between.
- Break the chocolate for the ganache into a bowl.
- In a pan, bring the cream to a simmer, without boiling, then pour over the chocolate. Leave for 30 seconds, then stir until smooth, thick and glossy.
- Allow to cool fully.
- To assemble the cake, put a crêpe on a serving plate.
- Spread over 1 heaped tablespoon of the banana cream and top with another crêpe.
- Repeat for all the crêpes, then chill until firm.
- Using a palette knife, cover the top and sides with the ganache.
- Shave the chocolate into curls with a potato peeler, then use to decorate the cake.
- Dust with cocoa and chill until needed.