Cheese scones (V)
A spin on the classic British tea time delight. Homemade scones filled with flavourful local cheddar cheese will take your afternoon treat to the next level.
SERVES 6 PREP 10 MINUTES COOK 15 MINUTES
- 225g self-raising flour
- A pinch of salt
- 100g Lymn Bank Farm Just Jane or Heart of Lincolnshire mature cheddar and a bit extra for topping the scones, grated
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 55g butter, cubed
- 80ml milk plus extra for glazing
1. Preheat oven to 200°/180°F/Gas 6.
2. Sift together flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl.
3. Add the butter to the bowl and combine with your fingertips so the mixture resembles a breadcrumb texture.
4. Sprinkle in the cheese and ensure it’s evenly distributed.
5. Create a well in the centre of the mixture, pour in enough milk to form a dough like texture.
6. Lightly cover your work surface with flour and roll out the dough so it’s approximately 2cm thick.
7. Using a medium sized cutter, cut into 6 pieces or more, depending on the desired size.
8. Brush the top of the scones with milk and sprinkle a handful of cheese on top of each one.
9. Place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes until the scones look golden and well risen.