A piece of cake!
The perfect afternoon tea accompaniment, our Victoria sponge features locally produced ingredients which will go down a treat!
For the cake:
200g / 7oz Fairtrade caster sugar
200g / 7oz softened butter
4 eggs from our Love Local range, beaten
200g / 7oz self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
For the filling and decoration:
200ml double cream, lightly whipped
Punnet of raspberries
Jar of Jenny’s Jam - raspberry flavour
1. Heat your oven to 190°C (fan) or 170°C/Gas Mark 5. Butter two 20cm sandwich tins and line with non-stick baking paper. In a large bowl, beat all the cake ingredients together until you have a smooth, soft batter.
2. Divide the mixture between the tins, smooth the surface with a spatula or the back of a spoon, then bake for about 20 mins until golden and the cake springs back when pressed. Turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
3. Meanwhile, remove any stems from the raspberries. Slice most of them in half, though retain some full berries to decorate the top.
4. To make the filling, lightly whip the double cream until it thickens. Spread it over the bottom of one of the sponges and then cover the cream with the raspberry halves.
5. Spread the other sponge with jam. Place this second sponge on top of the first to make a sandwich.
6. Dust the top with icing sugar and decorate with the leftover raspberries.