Vegan paella (Ve)
Dish up this delicious vegan paella, easy to make and ready in 45 minutes.
- 1½ tbsp Co-op olive oil
- 300g closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- ½ tbsp Co-op Fairtrade dark brown soft sugar
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced into strips
- 900ml gluten free vegetable stock, made with 1 stock cube
- 300g Co-op Spanish paella rice
- 200g frozen Co-op British garden peas
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a 28cm-diameter frying pan, tip in the mushrooms and cook for 10 mins, until golden.
- Add the paprika and cayenne, then cook for another 2 mins before adding the cider vinegar.
- Once the liquid has been absorbed, add the brown sugar and cook for 2 mins.
- Spoon onto a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pan, along with the onion and red pepper.
- Cook for 5 mins, until starting to soften, then stir in the mushrooms, along with the vegetable stock.
- Scatter in the rice and season.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 mins, without stirring.
- The rice should be cooked, but still have some bite.
- Remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle over the peas.
- Cover the pan and leave to sit for 15 mins.
- Stir in the peas, season, then serve with the lemon wedges on the side.