Vegan one-pot pasta
SERVES: 4 READY IN: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 1 aubergine
- 1 carrot
- 2 red peppers
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 3 tbsp Co-op olive oil
- 250g Co-op penne pasta
- 400g can Co-op Italian chopped tomatoes
- 50g Co-op raisins
- 1 tbsp drained jarred capers, chopped
- Co-op flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Cube the aubergine and carrot, slice the red peppers, finely chop the red onion and crush the garlic cloves.
- Place the discarded trimmings, seeds, outer leaves and stalks into a pan, along with 1.25 litres water, the peppercorns and dried bay leaf.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 35 mins, then strain and discard the trimmings.
- Heat 1½ tbsp olive oil in a large pan and cook the aubergine and pepper over a high heat for 5-10 mins, until golden.
- Remove and set aside. Heat another 1½ tbsp olive oil, then cook the carrot, onion and garlic for 5 mins, over a low heat, until softened.
- Add the penne pasta, the stock and chopped tomatoes, then bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, add the aubergine, pepper, raisins and capers, then cook, covered, for 12 mins.
- Cook uncovered for 3-4 mins, until the liquid is reduced and the pasta is al dente (cooked, but slightly firm)
- Season, then serve garnished with parsley.