Strawberries with tangy lemon shortbread (V)
A refreshing, tangy twist on your strawberries and cream - ready for Wimbledon to begin.
- 2 x 400g fresh strawberries
- 1 tbsp Lincolnshire honey
- 1 tbsp medium white wine
- Fresh mint leaves
- 1 scoop vanilla ice cream
For the shortbread
- 250g butter at room temperature
- 110g caster sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 250g plain flour, sifted
- 50g cornflour, sifted
- 75g semolina
- Wash the strawberries and remove the stalks, slice in halves and put into a bowl. Mix the honey and white wine and pour over the strawberries, then refrigerate.
- To make the shortbread, preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C/fan 160°C. Beat the butter, sugar and lemon juice and zest in a bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Stir in the sifted flours, cornflour and semolina.
- Press mixture together into a soft dough and roll it on to a floured surface. Knead but do not overwork. Roll out and cut into shapes or rounds.
- Place on a lightly greased baking tray, sprinkle with extra sugar and bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. Cool and serve with the strawberries, topped with fresh mint, and ice cream.
Save time with our great selection of ready-made shortbread from your local Lincolnshire Co-op food store.