Spiced bean burgers
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce or Encona Hot Pepper Sauce (more if you like it spicy)
- Small bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 x 400g tins red kidney beans in water, rinsed and drained
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 1 Love Local egg, lightly beaten
- 1 heaped tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 heaped tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Mr Huda’s Universal Curry Paste
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onions over a low heat for 15 minutes, stirring until soft and caramelised. Stir in the sauce and a third of the coriander (if using).
- While the onions are cooking, tip the beans into a large bowl and mash with the back of a fork or potato masher until roughly crushed. Stir in the remaining coriander, breadcrumbs, egg, chilli powder and cumin, then stir well to combine. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Divide the mixture into 6 equal pieces and shape into burgers. Place on a nonstick baking sheet.
- The burgers can be grilled or baked. Either heat the grill to hot and grill on each side for 5-6 minutes or bake in a preheated oven at 200°C/fan 180°C/Gas 6 for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through.
- While the burgers are cooking, make the slaw by mixing together the mayonnaise, curry paste, carrot and lettuce.
- Top the base of a toasted bun with a burger, some chilli onions, some slaw and the bun top. Serve with fries.