Salt dough decorations
Salt dough is so simple to make and these easy decorations let you be super creative. You can do different shapes, different colours, different sizes and you can personalise them however you want
You will need:
- 50g cinnamon
- 50g cooking salt
- 100g flour
- 100ml luke warm water
- Cutters in different shapes
- A straw or cocktail stick
- String or ribbon
- Pens, paint and varnish to decorate if you wish.
1. Put the flour, cinnamon and salt in a bowl and gradually mix the water in.
2. Once all the water is mixed in take out the wet dough and knead it on a work surface for 5-10 mins until you have a smooth texture.
3. Leave the dough on the side for 20 mins.
4. Now your dough is ready to mould - roll it out and cut it into different shapes or break it into pieces and make your own designs. You could do finger printing into the dough, or use cocktail sticks to create a pattern.
5. Using a straw or cocktail stick, make a hole at the top of each salt dough design to thread the string through.
6. Place all the designs on a baking tray and leave in a warm place to air dry for 2 days turning over after 1 day. You can also bake for about 45 mins at 160 degrees/Gas mark 3.
7. Once dry decorate as you wish with paint or pens and then varnish.
8. Finally put the ribbon or string through the hole so it hangs.