Strawberry meringue cake (V)
PREP TIME: 40 minutes
COOKING TIME: 2 hours
For the meringue:
4 large Lincolnshire egg whites from our Love Local range
270g caster sugar
For the filling:
400ml double cream
200g Greek-style natural yogurt
4 tbsp honey from our Love Local range
400g fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
1. Preheat the oven to 140°C/fan 120°C/Gas 1. Line three baking sheets with non-stick baking parchment and draw a 20cm circle on each.
2. Place the egg whites in a large, grease-free bowl and whisk with electric beaters until they form soft peaks – they should stay put when you turn the bowl upside down!
3. Add the sugar a spoonful at a time, whisking after each until you have a thick glossy meringue. Divide equally between the three baking sheets and use a palette knife to spread the meringue into the marked on circles. Bake for two hours, until meringues are firm to the touch. Turn the oven off so the meringues can cool. Carefully peel off the baking parchment.
4. To assemble, whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Beat together the yogurt and half the honey, then fold in the cream. Toss the strawberries with the remaining honey – this makes lovely strawberry and honey juice.
5. Decorate the top of the cake with the remaining cream and strawberries; drizzle the honey and strawberry juice over and your cake is ready to serve.