New life-saving equipment for local communities
We’ve installed 18 new defibrillators across our trading area, creating a vital resource for local communities.
In winter 2020, our colleagues, members, and customers came together to raise more than £150,000 for life saving causes through our Community Champions scheme.
Over £57,000 was donated to six local responder groups, and more than £93,000 was assigned to the purchase of new defibrillators and the maintenance of existing units. The society now looks after a total of 57 community defibs.
Local employee-owned electrical contractors Brook and Mayo supported the cause by offering their services for free, surveying the sites and installing the new equipment.
Each defibrillator is registered on The Circuit – an online network run by the British Heart Foundation. Currently, each of the 14 ambulance services across the UK have their own defibrillator database for their area. The Circuit brings this information together into one database, making sure that whenever and wherever a cardiac arrest happens, the people on the scene can get to the nearest working defibrillator quickly.
Estelle Stephenson, Survival Programme Lead at the British Heart Foundation said: “We’re thrilled that Lincolnshire Co-op has taken the vital step of installing 18 defibrillators and registering them onto The Circuit, as well as maintaining existing community defibrillators. This ensures that ambulance services can quickly direct bystanders to a defibrillator in the event of a cardiac arrest.
“We’re urging every organisation that owns defibrillators to follow Lincolnshire Co-op’s example by registering their defibrillators on The Circuit. It could be the difference between life and death.”
According to the British Heart Foundation, less than one in 10 people survive an out-of-hospital cardiac arrest, but effective CPR and defibrillation can double a person’s chance of survival. As emergency service response times in rural areas can be significantly longer, many of the new defibrillators were installed in more isolated towns and villages.
Lincolnshire Co-op will maintain the defibrillators and continue to identify opportunities to invest in equipment for areas that could benefit.
Senior Community Co-ordinator Danielle Budworth said: “These new defibrillators are a valuable long-term investment in the health and wellbeing of the local community. Anybody could need this life-saving equipment at any moment.
“This wouldn’t be possible without the generosity of our members, colleagues, and customers, and we’re proud to be part of this progress.”
If you need to use one of the units, you should phone 999 for the cabinet code.
- Wygate Park Food Store, Spalding
- Alford Food Store
- Bardney Food Store
- Billinghay Food Store
- Birchwood Food Store, Lincoln
- Boston Funeral Home
- Bowbridge Road Food Store, Newark
- Brant Road Food Store, Lincoln
- Burgh Le Marsh Food Store
- Cabourne Pharmacy
- Caistor Food Store
- Cambridge Road Food Store, Grimsby
- Chapel St Leonards Food Store
- Churchill Drive Food Store, Newark
- Clipstone Food Store
- Eastwood Road Food Store, Boston
- Gosberton Food Store
- Goxhill Food Store
- Heapham Road Food Store, Gainsborough
- Heckington Food Store
- Holbeach Food Store
- Horncastle Pharmacy
- Kilton Food Store
- Long Sutton Food Store
- Long Sutton Funeral Home
- Louth Funeral Home
- Market Rasen Post Office
- Morton Bourne Food Store
- Morton Food Store
- Newark Road, Hykeham Food Store
- Newbridge Hill Food Store, Louth
- Nettleham Food Store
- Nunsthorpe Food Store
- Queen Elizabeth Road Food Store, Lincoln
- Riseholme Road Food Store, Lincoln
- Roman Bank Food Store, Skegness
- Ruskington Food Store
- Scawby Food Store
- Sincil Street Food Store, Lincoln
- Skirbeck Road Food Store, Boston
- Sleaford Food Store
- Spilsby Food Store
- Stanley Bett House, Lincoln
- Sturton by Stow Food Store
- St Botolphs Pharmacy, Lincoln
- Sutton Bridge Food Store
- Tattershall Food Store
- The Bridge Food Store, Newark
- The Willows Post Office, Grimsby
- Tritton Road Funeral Home, Lincoln
- Tritton Road Travel Branch, Lincoln
- Washingborough Food Store
- Welton Vets
- Whaplode Food Store and Filling Station
- Willoughby Road Post Office, Scunthorpe
- Woodhall Spa Food Store
- Wragby Food Store
- Wygate Park Food Store, Spalding