Macaroni cheese and ham bites
It's the countdown to party season! Try these homemade mac and cheese bites - they're the perfect finger food to please your guests, Plus, they feature a delicious cheese from our Love Local range too.
SERVES: 24 PREP TIME: 15 MINS COOK TIME: 35 MINS
- 200g macaroni
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 400ml milk
- 100g Lymn Bank Farm Just Jane mature cheddar, grated
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 100g sliced gammon, chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 15g fresh white breadcrumbs
1. Cook the macaroni according to the pack instructions. Drain and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
3. Stir in the milk and bring to the boil, stirring continuously. Cook until you have a smooth, thick sauce. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese, mustard, gammon, spring onions and cooked macaroni. Season with plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Tip onto a plate and leave to cool.
4. Preheat oven to 180ºC/fan 160ºC/Gas 4. Lightly oil each section of two 12-section non-stick, mini-cupcake trays. Spoon a dessertspoonful of the macaroni mixture into each section. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and extra cheese, if desired, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Leave to cool for a few minutes to firm up. Carefully lift out with a round-bladed knife and serve warm.
TIP: The mac and cheese mixture can be prepared up to one day in advance. Just spoon it into a plastic box and chill.