Mac and sprouts (V)
It’s tradition to have sprouts at Christmas – right?
If you’re not a fan, we’ve got a recipe that’ll change your mind… mac and sprouts! Because everything is better with cheese.
SERVES 4-6 TAKES 40 - 45 mins
250g Brussels sprouts, 150g halved, the rest shredded
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed to a paste
600ml whole milk
1 tsp English mustard
230g Love Local hard cheese of your choice - Lymn Bank Just Jane mature cheddar cheese works well
35g fresh breadcrumbs (about 1 slice)
- Heat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6.
- Cook the macaroni following packet instructions, adding the halved sprouts 2 minutes before the end of cooking time. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan with the garlic and the shredded sprouts, cooking for a minute. Stir in the flour and cook for a minute before gradually adding the milk until you have a thick sauce. Stir in the mustard and all of the cheese, except for 30g. Season to taste.
- Add the macaroni and sprouts mix to the pan and stir. Pour into a large ovenproof dish.
- Mix the reserved cheese and breadcrumbs together. Sprinkle over the macaroni cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.