Lentil fritters with coconut chutney (VE)
Ready in less than an hour, these delicious vegan lentil fritters are packed with Sri Lankan inspired flavours.
SERVES: 6 READY IN: 40 minutes
- 450g dried red lentils
- 300ml sunflower oil, plus 1 tbsp
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp grated ginger
- 4 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 6 tbsp Co-op plain flour
- 2 whole green chillies
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 100ml light coconut milk
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 3 limes, 2 juiced
- Soak the lentils in water for 4 hours.
- Heat the 1 tbsp oil in a large pan and fry three-quarters of the onion and 2 tbsp of the grated ginger for 3-5 mins.
- Add the cumin and chilli powder, cook for another minute, then leave to cool slightly.
- Drain the lentils well, set a quarter aside and blitz the rest into a paste.
- Tip into a bowl and stir in the reserved lentils and cooked onion mixture.
- Season, then add the flour a tablespoon at a time until the mixture can be formed into balls.
- Roll 18 balls, then flatten into patties.
- To make the chutney, blitz the remaining chopped onion and ginger, the chillies, desiccated coconut, coconut milk, sugar and 200ml water until smooth.
- Add the lime juice, season, and chill until you’re ready to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/Gas 4 and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Pour the sunflower oil into a wok so it’s 2cm deep.
- Once the oil is hot, fry 3-4 fritters at a time for about 2 mins, turning halfway, until golden.
- Transfer to the tray to keep warm in the oven while you fry the rest
- Serve the fritters with the spicy coconut chutney, and the last lime cut into wedges for squeezing over the top.