Lentil chilli (V)
Warm, filling and comforting, this veggie lentil chilli hits the spot.
SERVES: 2 PREP TIME: 10 MINs COOK TIME: 25 MINS
- 1 tbsp Co-op olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 mild red chilli, finely sliced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 250g lentils
- 1 x 400g can Co-op chopped tomatoes with garlic and oregano
- 1 x 220g can Co-op kidney beans, drained
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 2 inch piece cinnamon
- 1 tsp soft brown sugar
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan and fry the onion and red pepper for 2-3 mins, until just starting to soften but not colour.
2. Add the chilli, cumin and paprika, and fry for a minute more before adding the lentils, chopped tomatoes, kidney beans, cocoa powder, cinnamon, sugar and 100ml water.
3. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 mins, until the sauce has thickened slightly and the veggies are tender.
4. Serve hot with steamed rice, a dollop of soya yogurt and a sprinkling of fresh coriander, if you like, and extra chilli — for the brave.