How to make Pom Poms
Pom Poms are brilliant - they're so easy to make and can be used for so many craft ideas. Find out how to get started here!
What you'll need:
- Wool/yarn - can be any colour, any thickness, any type
- Cardboard - cereal box cardboard is ideal
- Circle objects to draw around - a glass, a cup, a 2p piece for instance
What to do:
- Start by tracing a circle on your cardboard - the size of the circle will determine the size of your Pom Pom.
- Next, trace a smaller circle in the middle of this - don't make it too big or too small otherwise you'll not be able to wrap your wool around easily. We used a teacup as our big circle and then a bottle lid for the smaller circle.
- Cut out your big circle from the main piece of card.
- Next, make a cut in your big circle and cut out the centre circle - you should be left with a donut shape with a small slice in the outer circle.
- Make another donut exactly the same - you can use the one you've just made as a guide so it's the same size etc. Hold the two donuts together.
- Now it's wrapping time - take your wool and wrap it around your donut cardboard shapes (through the hole in the middle and over the outer edge, using the cut in the big circle to help pull your wool throug), keep wrapping until it's all covered and looks even - the more layers you have the fluffier your Pom Pom will be - but it'll also be difficult to cut!
- When it's completely covered, snip off the end of your wool.
- Now it's time to cut your wool - carefully slide your scissors between the two pieces of cardboard and cut along the edge. Make sure you keep hold of your Pom Pom whilst cutting so it doesn't fall apart but mind your fingers when cutting.
- Next, take a piece of your wool and slide it between the cardboard pieces and tie it in a knot at the centre of your Pom Pom. Do the same on the opposite side too.
- Carefully take off your carboard donuts and this should leave you with your Pom Pom - you might need to trim some of the edges and fluff it out a little.
Ta dah - now you have a Pom Pom to do whatever you like with! Check out our other activities as we've made everything from Robin's to rugs with them!