Hot cross bun and pear trifle
Try out this Easter spin on a classic British dessert - guaranteed to be a show stopper at any family gathering.
SERVES 16 TAKES 65 minutes to make
- 8 Co-op Irresistible hot cross buns, left out overnight, cut into 3cm chunks
- 5 tbsp Co-op cream sherry (optional)
- 600ml Co-op double cream
- 40g Co-op Irresistible Fairtrade 70% cocoa dark chocolate, melted
- 20g Co-op whole almonds, toasted and chopped
For the pears:
- 500g Fairtrade caster sugar
- Pared peel and juice of 2 lemons
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 11 ripe but firm pears, peeled, cored and halved
For the custard:
- 300ml Co-op whole milk
- 4 eggs from our Love Local range, yolks only
- 7 tbsp cornflour
- 200g Fairtrade caster sugar
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Start with the pears:
- Put the sugar, lemon peel and juice, bay leaves and peppercorns in a large pan, pour over 1 litre water and bring to the boil.
- When the sugar has dissolved, arrange the pear halves in the pan, so they’re covered with the syrup.
- Cover and simmer for 30 mins, then remove from the heat and allow the pears to cool slightly in the syrup.
For the custard:
- Heat the milk in a large pan. In a bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients into a smooth paste.
- Add half the milk, stirring well, then pour back into the pan.
- Stir constantly, over a medium heat, until it’s smooth and thick.
- Set aside and cover with cling film.
- To assemble the trifle, place the bun pieces in the bottom of a 23cm diameter, 12cm deep, straight-sided trifle bowl, reserving some for decoration.
- Pour over the sherry, if using.
- Drain the pears, reserving 4 tbsp of the cooking syrup.
- Arrange 9 pear halves around the side of the bowl, cut side facing out.
- Blitz half the remaining pears with the reserved cooking syrup, and roughly chop the rest.
- Pour the purée over the bun pieces, then top with the chopped pear.
- Pour over the custard and leave until completely cool and set.
- Whip the cream into soft peaks and spoon onto the centre of the trifle.
- Crumble over the reserved bun pieces and drizzle the melted chocolate all over.
- Scatter with the nuts, then chill until needed.