Gin and lemon cake (V)
Treat your mum this Mother's Day with a zesty lemon cake with a gin-credible twist.
SERVES 12 TAKES 20 minutes to make and 60 minutes to cook
- 220g Co-op unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 220g caster sugar
- 4 eggs from the Love Local range
- 220g Co-op self raising flour
- 100ml gin, we would recommend Pin Gin, Lincolnshire Gin, Lincoln Imp Drinks or Deco 22 from our Love Local range
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Zest and juice of 4 limes
For the drizzle:
- 160g icing sugar
- 125ml gin
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/Gas 4. Grease a 2lb loaf tin and line with greaseproof paper.
- Whisk together the butter and sugar, then beat in the eggs until smooth. Stir in the flour, then add the gin, lemon and lime zest and half the lemon and lime juice.
- Mix together, pour into the tin and put in the oven. After 1 hour, check it’s cooked by sliding a skewer or knife into the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean, it’s ready — otherwise, cook for a bit longer. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- To make the drizzle, combine the icing sugar, gin and remaining lemon and lime juice. Stir until blended, smooth and runny.
- When the cake has cooled, prick it a few times with a skewer and pour over some of the drizzle. Leave to soak for a few mins, then repeat with the rest. Pour a drink and enjoy with a slice!