Garlic cannellini bean spaghetti (Ve)
A tasty vegan spin on a traditional spaghetti dish.
SERVES 4 Ready in 35 minutes
- 1 garlic bulb
- 400g Co-op spaghetti
- 3 courgettes, peeled into ribbons
- 2 tbsp Co-op olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Co-op plain flour
- 400g can Co-op cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 500ml vegetable stock, made with 1 stock cube
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 200g frozen Co-op British garden peas
- 4 tbsp chopped parsley leaves 2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted, to serve
1.Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/Gas 6. Put the garlic bulb on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 20-25 mins, or until the cloves are soft and tender. Remove and set aside to cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to the pack instructions, saving a little water when you drain it.
3. While it’s cooking, toss the courgette with half the oil and season. Fry over a high heat in a frying pan for 1-2 mins, until golden, then set aside. Heat the remaining oil and fry the onion for 2 mins. Stir in the flour, cook for 1 min, then take off the heat.
4. Make a sauce: put the cannellini beans and stock in a saucepan, simmer for 2 mins, then whizz until smooth, using a hand blender. Squeeze in the roasted garlic, add the onion, season and stir. Simmer for 3-4 mins to thicken slightly, then add the lemon juice, peas and half the parsley. Cook for 2-3 mins until the peas are tender.
5. Toss the spaghetti with the sauce, adding a little reserved pasta water to loosen if needed. Stir in the courgette then serve, sprinkled with the lemon zest, pine nuts and remaining parsley.