Fairtrade banana curry (Ve)
A delicious blend of sweet and savoury makes this banana curry the perfect dish.
SERVES 4 Ready in 25 minutes
- 300g Co-op basmati rice
- 50g Co-op cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 tbsp Co-op vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 6 slightly underripe Co-op Fairtrade bananas, cut into 1cm chunks
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 lemon, zested and cut into wedges
- 25g pack coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp dairy free yogurt alternative
- Cook the rice according to the pack instructions and set aside. Meanwhile, toast the nuts in a frying pan with ½ tbsp of the curry powder over a medium heat for 2-3 mins till golden. Set aside.
- Wipe the pan clean, then add the oil. Fry the onion, apple and chilli for 8 mins over a medium heat until starting to soften. Add the banana, remaining curry powder, ground cumin, golden syrup and lemon zest. Fry for 2 mins until caramelised, taking care not to mash the banana.
- Stir through the coriander, saving a little to garnish, and season. Sprinkle the toasted nuts and remaining coriander over the curry, then serve with the rice, plus the yogurt alternative and lemon wedges on the side.