Citrus yogurt cake with gin syrup and orange glaze (V)
Impress your nearest and dearest with this delicious citrus cake, topped with a gin glaze 🍊🍰
SERVES 8-10 Ready in 1hr 30 mins
- 175g plain flour
- 75g ground almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 1 large orange and 1 lemon, coarsely grated rind and juice
- 150ml Greek-style yogurt
- 3 large Love Local eggs
- 70g caster sugar
- 5 tbsp gin from the Love Local range, eg Dam Raider, Pin Gin, Deco 22.
- 100g icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/150°C/Gas 3. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin. Sift together the flour, almonds and baking powder. Whisk together the golden caster sugar, oil, rinds, yogurt and eggs. Beat mixture into the flour.
2. Pour into the tin and bake for 45 mins. Cover loosely with foil and bake for a further 15 mins or until well risen and when a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave in tin and stand on a cooling rack.
3. Meanwhile, put the sugar and 80ml water in a small pan and dissolve over a low heat. Bring to the boil and bubble for 3-4 mins or until syrupy. Cool for 5 mins, then stir in 4 tbsp gin and 1 tbsp lemon juice.
4. Pierce the top of the cake all over with a skewer and drizzle over half the gin syrup. Leave for 10 mins, then spoon over the remainder.
5. Mix icing sugar with the remaining gin and 1 tbsp orange juice and stir until smooth. Drizzle over the cake. Serve warm or leave to cool.
TIP Add colour and zest to this cake by scattering with strips of pared orange peel before serving.