Cauli Boli (Ve)
Going vegan doesn't mean you have to miss out on your favourites, try out this vegan spin on a classic spaghetti bolognese.
SERVES 4 Ready in 30 minutes
- 400g can Co-op chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Co-op olive oil
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 celery stick, roughly chopped
- 1 small carrot, cut into chunks
- ½ x 200g pack Co-op chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 200g cauliflower florets (about ½ small cauliflower)
- 100ml vegan red wine, such as Co-op South African red wine
- 320g Co-op linguine
- ½ x 25g pack basil, leaves only, to serve
- Put the chopped tomatoes in a small saucepan and simmer for 15 mins on a medium-low heat while you prepare the vegetables.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat.
- Put the onion, garlic, celery, carrot and chestnut mushrooms in a food processor and whizz until just finely chopped — don’t overdo it, as you don’t want a paste.
- Tip the mixture into the frying pan.
- Blitz the cauliflower in the food processor until finely chopped, then stir into the veg mixture.
- Cook for around 10-12 mins, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden.
- Pour in the wine and cook for 2-3 mins, until fully absorbed.
- Meanwhile, cook the linguine in boiling water according to the pack instructions, then drain, reserving 200ml of the cooking water.
- Stir the cooked tomatoes into the vegetables, along with 100ml of the reserved pasta water, and cook for 5 mins.
- Season to taste. Add the linguine to the pan — with a splash more pasta water, if needed, to loosen the sauce — and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with black pepper and garnish with the basil to serve.