Bubble and squeak
Turn your leftovers into a delicious and simple dinner.
SERVES 4 TAKES 5 minutes to make and 10 minutes to cook
- 650g leftover roast or boiled potatoes
- 350g leftover vegetables such as carrots and cabbage
- 2 tbsp Ownsworth’s Rapeseed Oil
- ½ tsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 4 medium Love Local eggs
- 3 x 125g bags spinach
- 1 tsp mustard
- 8 slices ham (optional)
- To serve, Lymn Bank Farm Caramelised Red onion chutney
- Cut the potatoes into approximately 2cm cubes and chop any larger pieces of vegetable. Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the vegetables and potatoes and season well. Fry over a medium heat for about 8-10 minutes, pressing down then turning over regularly to heat through and brown.
- Meanwhile, place a large pan filled with approximately 6cm hot water from the kettle on to heat. It should be just below boiling point, so if it starts to bubble, reduce the heat. Add the vinegar or lemon juice and carefully crack the eggs into the water (you may find it easier to do this in batches). Heat until the egg is white and set. Remove with a draining spoon and drain thoroughly.
- Add the spinach to a large pan with the mustard and cover with a lid. Cook over gentle heat for 1 minute, stirring once or twice until just wilted.
- Spoon the bubble and squeak onto 4 plates and top each with a poached egg. Add some wilted spinach and serve with a dollop of chutney. This dish is perfect with or without ham.