These bottle rockets are great fun to make, you could even line them up and have a bit of a competition to see who can get their's to fly the highest! It's a great way to re-use any empty plastic bottles you might have too!
What you'll need:
- 2 litre empty drinks bottle
- 3 pencils (un-sharpened are best)
- Duct tape or thick tape
- A cork that fits in the end of the bottle
- Paper towels or kitchen towels
- Baking soda
- Bottle of white vinegar (the bigger the better or buy a few)
What to do:
1. When the bottle is stood upright place the pencils around the bottle to make 'feet'. Secure down with duct tape. Don't add any decoration as it will make the rocket heavier so won't go as high!
2. In a paper or kitchen towel add a teaspoon or so of baking power and wrap up in a little parcel that will fit in the neck of the bottle.
3. Add the vinegar - as much as you like - to the bottle, quickly place the baking soda parcel in and push the cork in (but not too tight as it will need to be loose enough to explode).
4. Then stand back, watch the vinegar froth and wait for take off.
5. Once the rocket has landed try it again with different amounts of vinegar and baking soda.