Renting a property

If you would like to rent a property from Lincolnshire Co-op you will be asked for:

  • Proof of identity;
  • Completion of a form that will enable us to carry out a credit check; this will require you to provide details of all addresses that you have lived at and names by which you have been known during the last 5 years.
  • Details of at least two people who we can contact to obtain references; these should not be relatives and where possible they should include:
    • Your previous landlord
    • Your employer (unless self employed)
    • One or more trade suppliers (in the case of a business tenancy)

We ask for this information to satisfy ourselves that you will be a suitable tenant for a particular property.  What is satisfactory will depend upon the property concerned, the terms of the lease and whether it is a residential or business property.  You may also be asked for a bank reference and, for a residential tenancy, proof of earnings. If you are starting a new business and want to rent a commercial property you should normally also provide us with a copy of your business plan.

If you are renting a business property and would like the lease to be held in the Company name you must be able to provide satisfactory trading accounts for the last 3 years.  If you are unable to do so, this does not necessarily mean that your application will be declined but, it is likely that one or more of the Company directors, or another suitable party, will be asked to be a joint tenant on the lease.

When you rent a property from us you will be given a copy of the lease or tenancy agreement.  This contains a written record of the responsibilities and liabilities of both the landlord and tenant. We would strongly recommend that you keep a copy of it to hand throughout your tenancy as it is useful to be able to refer to it. It says how much rent is due, when it must be paid and who is responsible for property repairs.

When you move into your property please remember to take meter readings and ask the utility companies to change the supplies into your name. You will also need to tell the local council so that the Council Tax or Business Rate accounts are put into your name.

When your lease ends and you leave the property meter readings will need to be taken once again and utility companies and the Local Authority informed that you have moved. If you have changed utility supplier, please let us know who the supply has been moved to.

Residential and commercial property lettings are subject to different laws and regulations.  For a full explanation you should seek the advice of a solicitor but you may find the general information on the following pages helpful

Commercial property FAQs

Commercial property FAQs

Answers to common questions about renting a commercial property from Lincolnshire Co-op.

Renting a commercial property

Renting a commercial property

When you rent a commercial property from us you will be given a lease. This is a legal document setting out the agreed terms by which you may occupy the property.

Renting a residential property

Renting a residential property

If you take a new tenancy of residential property from Lincolnshire Co-op it will be let on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.

News and blogs

View more news